Jon Kirkman - And The Lamb, Lies Down, On Broadway - Buch (Rezension online!)

• Der Musik-Radio-Journalist Jon Kirkman hatte mit anderen seit einigen Jahren immer wieder von einem Projekt über The Lamb gesprochen und sogar einige der damals dabeigewesenen Helfer interviewt. Es sah einige Zeit so aus, als würde daraus nichts.

Heute nun verkündet er Vollzug.

https://www.facebook.com/genesisthelambliesdownonbroadway/

"Some of the preliminary scans of the book which were made to give us an idea of colour and overall look of the pages. Please note that some of these images may change as not all images have been fully cleared yet but we thought you might want to see them anyway
    Jon and Simon"

Jon Kirkman
    Please sign up at the website and also click like and follow the facebook page. There is going to be a huge demand for this book and many are already signed up for updates and there will be a number of those in the next six weeks. Here is the press release with more details
    Genesis:
    The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    Jon Kirkman
    Published By Stereo33Books May 2017
    Genesis : Gabriel, Banks, Hackett, Rutherford, Collins. Genesis are rightly regarded as one of the founders of what today is known as progressive rock. Emerging from public school backgrounds and uncertain beginnings under the wing of pop producer Jonathan King, Genesis were signed by Charisma records on the strength of their innovative live shows.
    Supported by the label, the band’s music grew in ambition across four albums in the early 1970s, with long numbers and music which appealed to a growing underground market that largely ignored the trapping of the pop chart scene. Not until their fifth album did Genesis have any significant single success with the unlikely top twenty breakout hit “I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)”.
    Although their longer tracks could be said to encompass the genre, the band only embarked on a proper concept album with The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, released in 1974. Surprisingly, it eschewed the scope afforded by a double gatefold album in favour of shorter songs, connected by linking pieces. The subject of the album also steered away from the band’s normal very English-centric material, and instead focused on the struggles of an immigrant youth trying to come to terms with life in New York City.
    Despite being supported by a lengthy world tour centred on the new album,
    The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway was not an unqualified success commercially. Yet today, album and tour taken together, the reputation of this ambitious work has grown. In recent years, readers of Rolling Stone have voted it fifth in their favourite prog albums of all time (2012); it also made Uncut Magazine’s recent top ten concept album chart.
    Such ambition was not without problems and the group felt more restricted than before having to synch their music to an elaborate stage production night after night. As the main visual focus of the band and their lyricist, Peter Gabriel had also come under increasing pressure and decided to end his association with the band. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway was his final album and tour as a founding member of Genesis.
    For almost everyone who saw The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway tour, the show remains etched in their memory thanks to the combination of the clever music and the ground-breaking stage performance. This new book takes a very detailed look at this period in the history of Genesis. Through the bringing together of many rare photographs, memorabilia, recollections from people in the audience, band members, designers, photographers and crew the book brings this largely undocumented tour to light in impressive style.
    The book’s presentation is large format, high quality printing on archival paper, to ensure the best possible reproduction for the material. This book is being sold via mail-order only and in a limited run. The following comes from one person who caught the tour:
    “I saw the show in Manchester. I was at college right in the centre of town but the shows sold out so quickly I was unable to get a ticket. It was a big disappointment as I had seen the group the previous year and been very impressed by them live. Then a mate at college told me he’d got a spare ticket, so we went together. My abiding memory of the evening is at the end of the show, we got out of the doors and just leapt in the air, it had been so exhilarating. Everyone I’ve spoken to about it of course remembers Gabriel’s incredible bubble suit, I think it was on the front of the NME too, but so many other aspects of the show stick in the brain. The way they set up Gabriel on a platform on one side of the stage, then somehow moved him right across the stage in an instant was mesmerising. Of course we found out later how they’d done the trick, but on the night it was breathtaking. The use of lasers was also very exciting. I went to my first rock show in 1970, and have seen hundreds of bands since then, but The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway show is easily in my top five gigs of all time.”
    The book will come in two limited formats including a hardback edition which will come in a slipcase and will be signed by Steve Hackett and numbered and also contain prints from the Manchester Palace concert in 1975 and also include reproduction tickets and passes and paper work pertaining to the tour This version will be limited to just 350 copies.
    The next version will also be a hardback edition.
    The book contains previously unseen photographs from many dates on the tour and a definitive list of concerts the band played. There are exclusive interviews with Steve Hackett, (Two interviews one concerning the production and recording of the album and one concerning the tour) Tony Banks, Aubrey Powell from design company Hipgnosis who designed the sleeve of the album and Colin Richardson who was the Charisma label manager in Europe at the time of the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway album and tour. The book will also contain a feature from a member of the Genesis road crew on the tour David Lawrence which had previously been published many years ago, in The Waiting Room Fan magazine.
    The book will be a must for Genesis fans and fans of this landmark album..
    More Details Here: https://stereo33books.com/genesis-lamb-lies-down-about/
    Facebook Page Here: https://www.facebook.com/genesisthelambliesdownonbroadway/

• The Lamb lies down on Broadway - Presale

Vogestern startete - wie Christian auf FB angekündigt hatte - endlich der Presale des jahrelang vorbereiteten Buches "The Lamb lies down on Broadway".

Es wird definitiv nur 350 (bzw. abzüglich der VIP-Exemplare nur 325) Exemplare geben
    Das Buch kostet 265 Pfund, das sind heute 295 € plus Versand.

Man kann sich eine Widmung eintragen lassen, muss aber nicht.

Wie stehts denn so mit Euch hier?
    Chandelier meinte, er wartet auf die softcover-Ausgabe, über die aber im heutigen Modell noch nichts gesagt wurde.

Robert Ellis hatte vor 2 Jahren sein Genesis Foto-Buch mit 99 Pfund herausgegeben, wobei die ersten 100 Exemplare (= 1.Auflage) von ihm signiert wurden, so dass sich die Erstausgabe dadurch optisch deutlich unterschied von (eventuellen) weiteren Folge-Auflagen. Ob weitere Folgeauflagen gepresst wurden, ist unbekannt.

Ich selbst? Habe zwar Verständnis, dass Künstler sich nicht verramschen wollen und können, weiß auch, wieviel Arbeit und Reisegeld in das Buch geflossen sind, bin aber per se nicht so der Fan vom Marketing-Trick "künstlicher Verknappung".

• Ich denke das Lamb-Buch sieht sehr gut aus, aber .... ist mir dann doch zu teuer.
    Zuerst hatte ich die Gedanke: Ja, die will ich kaufen! Danach aber kam die Entnüchterung: dass sind ne ganze Menge Euro's.
    Also, ich warte auch auf die Softcover Edition, mal abwarten was die kosten soll...

• @ GitGo und bekki: Also: 100 Euronen vom Gesamtpreis für einen guten Zweck, dann ließe ich mir es gefallen. Das Ellis-Buch habe ich mit Widmung. 100 Euronen sind auch schon happig, aber für mich noch okay. Habe ich übrigens auch für die APP "Tales Of Mystery....." Deluxe - Ausgabe bezahlt. Ja, das wäre es: Eine TLLDOB - Deluxe-Ausgabe mit Tonträgern, diesem Buch hier, Poster usw. u.s.f. in höherer Auflage und bezahlbarer. Hach ja, hat das Management usw. vor drei Jahren verpasst...Warten wir noch knapp sieben Jahre....

Hier steht, dass die Softcover - Edition folgen soll: https://stereo33books.com/genesis-lamb-lies-down-about/

Ich lass mich nicht kirre machen und warte darauf. Sollte sie nicht kommen, wird mein Fan-Herz das auch überleben;-)

• wo kann man das bestellen?

Genesis Softback Edition Pre-sale

Nun kommt sie und ich habe sie vorbestellt - die Softback - Edition. Immer noch schlappe 120 Euronen (inklusive P & P), aber es ist das Lamm!

Null Kaufimpuls bei mir (zum Glück) ;) viel Freude mit dem Buch!

you're the ones we've been waiting for...
    Genesis - 98 München - 07 Linz, Düsseldorf x 2, Berlin, München - 22 Berlin x 2, London x 2

• Was soll überhaupt das Besondere an diesem Buch sein ?
    Edit : Ich habe mir jetzt die Webseite dazu durchzgelesen.
    Na ja, damals war ich zu klein, um mir das Live ansehen zu können ...

"There are crawlers under my lambswool feet..."
    (Quelle)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Alrik Fassbauer ()